Saturday, May 2, 2009

Catching up ...

WOW! The last few months have been a whirlwind of activity, both personally and professionally.

Personally, life is really great! Basketball season is over so I have my hubby back, and he's looking forward to his summer off ... well, most of it. He will run some boys basketball camps in June. I look forward to him being off, too, because we have a number of projects around the house that he will likely be working on. Today, I'll be working on a couple of those projects ... he is at a coaching clinic and Kristian is heading off to work shortly. I'm going to head to SNAP to work out, and then back home to paint the living room and hallway. We are going a bit more contemporary ... changing from the warm burgandy/wine colors to a blue called Ship's Harbor ... it's a light/bright hue, and trimming everything out in white, adding crown molding soon, too ... very excited. It's time for a change.

The kids are great! Kristian is wrapping up her junior year of high school and getting ready for her junior prom. We found her a great dress and her Daddy told her she looked beautiful when she tried it on for us the other night! She just finished her first SkillsUSA competition last week and is excited about next year's competition already. She is the VP of her local chapter and is really taking an interest in the leadership opportunities. She has signed up for an internship through CACC and will be placed somewhere that focuses on her field. It's so important to her that she is even willing to get up early for a month in the summer to take part in it! Plus she is still working and will be taking a summer class. She is one busy 17-year-old.

Zach just took a job at the Lincoln Prairie Behavioral Health Center, where he'll be working with the 3- to 10-year-olds. He is excited about the opportunity and feels this may be what he is meant to do.

Megan is finishing up her Master's program at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design. She will go before the review board with her thesis this week and has been setting up her final art show. Graduation is May 17 and Mike, Kristian and I will be flying up to spend the weekend with her and Brian.

So proud of all the kids ... yet sometimes can't believe they are old enough to be focusing on careers!

Speaking of careers ... I am still loving my job at the AIEC where I am advertising manager for our magazine, Illinois Country Living. Have been doing much travelling to conferences as of late ... two trips to Chicago, a trip to Atlanta, GA., and then a couple of area travel days to work on the June feature story.

Plus, I have decided to get serious about my own business, PR with Purpose. I'll be more deliberate about having the consulting and freelance work I have been doing become an offical part of this business. I'm in the launching stages ... have officially registered the name, working on defining my business plan, developing a logo, Web site (I have a very basic one out there right now ... PRwithPurpose.net) etc. Taking it slow and steady so I can do it right (have to work on it in the evenings and weekends, since I work a full-time day job!) And I'm OK with that! Mike is completely on board as well. We want to grow this business in a debt-free manner ... have heard that Dave Ramsey is coming out with a book for small business owners. I'll be on of the first in line to get it!

OK ... I have a busy day ahead of me ... better get to it!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Lisa

No comments: