Friday, January 13, 2012

Agritourism, authenticity, abundance ...

Fruits, veggies and tourism ... oh my ... and so much more!!

I have had the privilege of spending the last two days among some of Illinois' finest specialty and organic crop growers, folks who own and manage orchards, pumpkin farms, berry patches, wineries to name a few, plus tourism professionals who actively promote agritourism in our state. I would list all of the businesses and supporting organizations by name, as well as the tourism entities, but since my elbow continues to be in the healing mode, and the doctor said one of the main things I still can't do with the right hand is type/write, I'm doing the blog with my left hand. It would take forever, and more importantly, I would be afraid someone would be left out. At the end, I will give you a website or two as a reference point for going to find some of these fine places!

All this great connecting happened at the Illinois Specialty Crops, Agritourism and Organic Conference during the annual conference held at the Crowne Plaza in Springfield. It is one of my favorite events of the year, actually. I think that is in large part, due to the people who participate.

These business owners are authentic, down-to-earth, people who are passionate about their businesses, have wonderful stories to share and are willing to do just that. Often they are family-owned businesses, 2nd, 3rd and even 4th generation. You'll find everything from herb gardeners to vegetable farmers to apple orchard owners. In fact, yesterday, I was sitting at a table for lunch with two couples, one couple who has both vegetables and livestock had to leave, and then four men joined us, representing three different, family-owned apple orchards, and they were all laughing and talking together. The husband of the younger couple that was still sitting at the table mentioned that one day he'd like to include an orchard as part of his business (currently produces vegetables). Immediately, he was offered advice, tips, words of wisdom from the men in each of these established orchards. The enthusiasm for the giving and the receiving of the information created a level of high energy!

At the banquet, I sat at a table with a woman about my age whose job situation has changed. She is seriously contemplating getting into the field of vegetable growing. She came to the conference to absorb information. Without even having to ask, she was being introduced to people who could help her, given ideas of how to get started, invited to "come out to the farm" to see how others run their operation.

In going to this conference for the last four years, as a speaker on the agritourism marketing track this year and two years ago, and watching the natural interactions the attendees, and even the exhibitors have with one another, makes me want to see them with their customers in their element! I find that agritourism folks are easy to talk to, easy to get to know, easy to like! You want to visit their operations to learn more, see more, meet the rest of their families and employees, pet the animals, ride on the hay wagons, pick an apple ... red, green or yellow! Walk through the pumpkin patch and find the perfectly shaped, big, bold orange pumpkin that suits you! Let the sweet aromas of the bakeries tickle your nose and tease your tastebuds. You know what I'm talking about - apple pies, peach cobblers, donuts. Or maybe you prefer a nice bite of creamy fudge, the sweet taste of an ice cream cone or one of my favorites, an apple cider slushie!!  Gonna add it to my list this year ... make a point to visit these places : ) Since many are seasonal businesses I'll have to check 'em all out and make a plan depending on the schedules.

Since writing/telling stories about people is really my favorite thing to do, maybe there's a project in the making here. I think I'll find a grant to allow me to write a book about all the family-owned agritourism businesses in Illinois. Could promote it in Illinois Country Living and local newspapers, through the various tourism outlets, etc. Wonder if any of the businesses would be interested in participating in that kind of a project, be willing to have me spend time at their site, with them, their employees, customers? I think I've got some research to do! How exciting!!! I love new ideas and I love the agritourism businesses!

Wanna find out more about who might have been at the conference? Go to: http://www.specialtygrowers.org. You'll find a list of ISGA members with links to their websites! Start making your plans to go visit their sites, it will add abundance to your life! Maybe I'll see ya there!

Have a fabulous weekend!
Lisa

1 comment:

Marla Eversole said...

This is great! I love Illinois agriculture, too. I hope you do proceed with your writing idea. I'll buy the first copy!